gulamali_jivanHAJI GULAMALI JIVAN

In 1902 Haji Gulamali Jivan left India by sea voyage for Mombasa where he put up at Haji Walji Bhanji residence for 22 days, he then left by steamer for Dar-es-Salaam, Tanganyika, the country was ruled by the Germans. Our community population was a good number compared with out towns. The Dar es Salaam Imambargha was constructed of iron corrugated sheets. During those days Dar-es –Salam was a very small town surrounded by thick forest. Every now and then some wild animals would appear in town area to attack the domestic animals.

In Dar-es-salaam town there were such streets, namely ring street where by during the rainy season the street would be flooded with 4 feet deep water thus the name "Mchafukoge" was given to the area.

There were no such transport facilities hence people travelled by foot or man pushed carts. People were not lazy to walk as there were no transport vehicles, like the present situation.

The Jamaat office bearers were Haji Satchu Pira and Haji Nasser Mawji, Haji Satchu Pira was very influential and due to his good rapport the Masjid and Imambargha plot were given free of charge by the Government at the time. The graveyard plot being used presently was donated by Haji Satchu Pira.

In 1902 the main business headquarters were Kilwa and Bagamoyo. The import and export business between Zanzibar and Dar-es-Salam was quite good and flourishing.

After the railway line was introduced, Dar-es-salaam started booming. The major entrepreneurs of Kilwa and Bagamoyo decided to migrate to Dar-es-salaam which became important headquarters.

During the 1st World War of 1914 when fear of war creeped through due to the cannon ball blasts, people would run away to the nearby jungle, when it calms down, they would return to the town and get back with their businesses. Once again when the red flags are raised and the situation would worsen people would rush to the jungle to protect themselves. Until in 1916 when the Germans lost the war, British Empire took over and colonized Tanganyika.

At the end of the 1st World War, Dar-es-Salaam gained its fame especially after the 2nd World War. Gradually the number of our community members increased and thus a need for a new Imambargha was seen; in 1942 a new and bigger imambargha was built, below is the photograph of the then new Imambargha, which has since been replaced with a bigger Imambargha.

Translated by F. Ali of AFED Archives (extracted from community Directory 1960)

Below: The Dar-es-Salaam Imambargha in the mid 1950's before it was replaced, the frontage of the Imambargha has been retained for the future generations to witness the devotion, dedication and the philanthropists of our community who gave their wealth for Islam and for the Madh'ab of Ahlul Bayt (AS).

dar_old_mosq

Below is the photograph of the old Mosque of Dar es Salaam, one can see the area outide for Wudhoo and where our elders would gather and sit in the evening (on the Baraza) before the Maghribain namaz.

dar_old_mosq_2

Please remember the past leaders of the Jamaats, community elders and all Marhumeens with Sura-e-Fateha

gulamali_jivan_2

Please bear with us while the Africa Federation Website undergoes some essential maintenance works.

afedDonateOnline

Join Our Mailing List



The Africa Federation is a member of The World Federation of KSIMC, an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the ECOSOC of the United Nations

© Africa Federation | Site By LMNO.co.uk | SiteMap | feed-image RSS